Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Project: Waiting on God

I am a girl who loves projects. This should come as no surprise to anyone really. If we haven't met... "Hello! I am a girl who loves projects!" Since I have recently completed a six-year-long journey of getting my bachelor's degree (while working, getting married, having a baby, getting divorced and raising my kids by my lonesome); I have found myself with a rare and unusual thing called "free time". 

Unsure what to do with this free time I naturally made a list of things to do. Not necessarily the average list, but a list of the 100 books you should read before you die (for literary pleasure) and the most recent version of the American Film Institutes 100 best films of all time (for viewing pleasures). I have also enthusiastically started working again on decorating my cookie cutter new home into something more..... me (hence my fantastic excursion today to the paint store to spend undisclosed sums and leave me with a partially painted bedroom in a fabulous color - gray! - no snickering please). 

I have found that when not working on some project that requires my attention (also ferociously studying up on falling literacy levels and what coursework I will use over the summer and beyond to rectify this for my children....but I digress), I feel....... useless. I am just the sort of person that needs purpose in their life at almost constant intervals. And that got me thinking.....

I listened to a man speak in church today who passionately described his personal calling for the children of Africa. I am always so inspired by missionary speeches that I immediately want to leave all of America behind and go out into the unknown. I think of the wonder of living for God as my full-time job instead of attempting to fit into a non-Christian, politically-correct work environment. And even as I type it I wonder.... Is it not my full-time job to live for the Lord as if I were a "missionary" even in my own life? Is that not what the Great Commission was all about? 

I have felt, at varying intervals lately, that I have absolutely no idea what God wills for me to do. I don't know what he has called me for. I don't know what my true purpose is in the body of Christ. Why did God make me? His Word clearly states that God has a purpose and plan for each of us. I wonder what mine is....... And in the meantime, why do I choose to live my life as though I am clueless? God has called us to live for Him unreservedly! He has asked us to not care about the things of this world and focus on heaven. So I think that's a good place to start. I may not know specifically (like our missionary friend today) what God has called me to do, but I sure know what He has commanded me to do in His absence. So I'll start there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment