Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Logically Lost

The human brain has only so much capacity for logic. Any drive down any street will show evidence of this lack of logic…… (or maybe that’s just me). However, I find that there is a fundamental flaw when people of faith attempt to place human logic limitations on the Lord. It cannot be done. God is not fair (by our selfish definitions) he is fair by his OWN rules. God is full of grace, but that doesn’t mean that he gives people infinite chances to repent (see Sodom and Gomorrah). God is not limited by the capacity of our minds. And for that I am grateful.
Being a person who fancies herself quite logical and fair this was a difficult concept for me to grasp. I WANT to fully understand the ways of the Lord and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, except that I cannot do it. I will never fully understand why God works the way that he does. Never. I am incapable of doing so (and for those that know me well, admitting that I am incapable of anything pretty much gets my hackles up). But in this case, not only is it good but essential that I understand within myself that I cannot understand God’s ways.
Fortunately, I don’t have to understand God’s ways. I simply have to follow His commands and wherever he leads me. This is a huge leap to go from depending on my own mind, strength and intellect to solve my life’s problems to depending entirely on the Lord. (Break for disclaimer: Yes I know that God uses my intellect and mind and strength to do His purposes and I am not proclaiming that one should act dumb……. Do you hear that I-205 drivers??? NOT A LICENSE TO ACT DUMB)…….. Ok, rant over.
God’s ways are higher than our ways. Thank goodness. It is really hard but we do a serious disservice to our Savior by trying to fit the ways of the Lord into the realm of what we can understand, what we think is fair, or what we feel is right. God did not determine his laws based on your feelings about things. Sorry. Didn’t happen that way. That being said, that doesn’t mean that he is wrong!
I believe that God’s ways are always correct. I believe that His word is never contradictory. I know that’s hard for some people but just because you don’t understand WHY His word doesn’t contradict itself doesn’t mean that God made a mistake. God is infinitely fair by his own rules. Our human version of fair is seriously flawed.
I know that those who don’t understand in a personal way how much better God’s way is will balk at the idea that their understanding is limited. We walk by faith not by sight and this is true of God’s laws as well. Honor God’s laws not because you necessarily understand on agree with them all, but because you trust that the God who created the universe with a word knows better for your life than you do. Trust the God who sees the bigger picture. Really. It won’t fail you. Ever. You may not see it right away, that’s why it is called faith. But I figure if I want all his promises to be true then I better be believing His laws too. I can’t take the good and leave what I don’t want to believe (tempting as that may be sometimes).
I have given my life to the Lord, which means that it is not I who gets to run the show. I will honor the words He has left me in His instruction manual and do my best. Whether I understand or not. Whether I agree with it or not. It’s all or nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment