Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ministry for the everyday girl

I was convicted this morning at church. Convicted by my Pastor's intense passion for evangelism. Now, to be sure, traditional evangelism is not my calling but I have deliberately brought more of my faith into my everyday conversations in the past six months than at any other time in my adult life. No that's not why I was convicted. I was convicted because he challenged us to be in fellowship with each other more. 

Do you have any idea how HARD that is for a private, not-really-social, slow-to-warm-up-to-people individual? I thought I was doing good simply because I actually TALK to people at church now. I arrive early to chat and catch up. That was HUGE for me. Yet, despite my efforts I know that I could be gaining more by being a more active part of our church fellowship. Taking it even a step further, and not making it all about me...... I could have something to offer by being a more active part of our fellowship. 

So, convicted though I am, I wonder at how to accomplish this? I don't WANT to be involved in every church pursuit. It's not practical for my life, my family, my health and frankly would overwhelm my shy sensibilities. So I found Pastor Dave's words about ministry ideas particularly interesting.

I have, perhaps selfishly, thought of this blog as a ministry of sorts. Perhaps not traditionally theological but my thoughts as a woman who is truly trying to seek the Lord in every aspect of life and attempting to understand how to put this faith into practice. I hope that, in some small way, my struggles, thoughts and revelations of the Spirit will help someone see their faith more clearly, question their difference of faith or at least be more open-minded about Christianity as a whole. But I sense in my heart that this is not enough.

So today I was thinking about pain. I know pain. The Lord has granted me the privilege (yup I said privilege) of being able to really understand those who feel physical pain. I don't know where this idea will lead or what it will amount to, but I would love to have some kind of ministry to those in pain. Perhaps it would involve having someone to come and clean their bathroom, or do the dishes or perhaps just someone who you know you can call and cry to when you feel so alone in your pain that you just need someone, anyone, to be there for you, someone you know that can truly understand. Perhaps with some kind of buddy system that meets for prayer and study when people can make it. Wouldn't it be great to have a pain buddy? I want one!!!!

All I know is that I have to give more of my time and attention to the ministry of the Lord. In whatever form I am capable of (and seeing as how the physical limitations can be tricky, a little creativity may be required). But I need to. I have remained in the "healing phase" in the church for too long. I have benefited. I will continue to benefit, but I can't continue to go to this wonderful place and not give something back. 

Are you involved in ministry? Any kind of ministry? Do you do things that you could consider ministry but because it's not official you write it off as though it doesn't matter? Don't. The little things you do can mean the world to someone else. I think this is a focus for 2013. Take a need, get creative and see the Lord at work. I'll let you know how it goes!

Blessings,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment