Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Godly Wife: Mover and Shaker

I have some of my deepest and most penetrating thoughts when blow drying my hair. This morning I was thinking about the submissive wife. As I was growing up the concept of submission was displayed by the submissive party being completely devoid of personal preference and simply obeying any and every request by the dominate party. Being submissive meant never expressing a need and that implying that your needs should be met was selfish. I do think this is the most accurate picture of the submissive wife. It is a one dimensional picture of a complicated being.

As a side note, I fully believe in the sanctity of the written word of God and that the Bible is completely without error or contradiction. I simply think that our interpretation of that inspired word can sometimes be skewed too far from it's original wholeness. I do believe that wives ARE to be submissive to their husbands authority in the home, just maybe not at the expense of everything else. For example...

When you think about a "good wife" anyone who has been a Christian for awhile will reference Proverbs 31. Have you ever read that and thought about what it really says? This woman is making clothes, preparing meals and serving her husband. OK, so far nothing that is earth shattering. Then verse 16 hits with the woman heading out and buying property and starting a vineyard! Does that amaze anyone else? I think of the "women's movement" as a pretty recent development history wise. This God-fearing woman of noble character is a mover and shaker! The verse gives the indication that she takes initiative here (and in several other parts of the chapter). She is not sitting at home waiting to be bossed around. She is out being a partner to her husband. Her words are "wise" and respected. That means, to me, that her husband values what she has to say. She is not helpless. I am certain that in this example her husband is aware of her thinking about purchasing this field and starting a vineyard. I would even say that he gave his approval, but SHE did it. A woman, back then, owning property and starting a business just seems so far from what I ever imagined the culture of the time to have every allowed, let alone condoned. 

I love this! God is writing about the balance this woman has. The balance of nurturing her family, servants and spouse with the entrepreneurial savvy and know how to create this opportunity for her family to better them. I think it's great how God never gives a one dimensional portrait of how people are to behave. We are complex beings. We are not flat, we have many aspects to us and he addresses them all so beautifully. 

Do you think that people back then were shocked at this description? Did they think it was crazy? How many times have we defined what we think the Bible is saying into black and white, restricted terms simply because it's easier than trying to acknowledge God's all encompassing vision. I think God likes to challenge our preconceived notions of what we think he's saying. I wonder if he chuckles. It is so clear to me that God is the one who truly understands us for all we are and gives us a great and very relevant picture of a woman whose "worth is more than precious rubies" (vs 10). May we women be comforted and encouraged by this description. God knows us. Ahhhhhhh.......

No comments:

Post a Comment